3/23/2011

“It is hell, Tasumi-san” A translation from a blog.



I’ve got a call via satellite from a friend who is living in Ishimaki, and whom I had been worried for.
I have worked for a TV program which promotes Tohoku’s local towns and have many friends in Tohoku.  Many of them were affected by the disaster.  I'm worried, but frustrated with the fact that I cannot do anything myself. Every day just went past. I was even not able to write a blog.  But his words woke me up.

 Ishimaki, Rescue Activities 

"Tell this to as many people as possible.  Corpses are anywhere.  We are staying in a safe place, but we do not have food.  Children are starving and some are dying.  Please, Mr Tatsumi.”
I have worked as a TV reporter for many years, so I have a good idea of both the good and bad sides of TV reports.  I was watching the TV for a whole day, and my concerns were confirmed.  They report only either the fear of the disaster or emotional scenes of survivors.  If you report the reality with sober eyes, it would not make a program, or would break the code of the broadcasters.  It is no mistake that you assume that all of the reports on TV are shot somewhere safe, where TV crew can safely visit.   But, based on a variety of information, we can imagine the reality.  We need to use all of our imagination, and think hard to find what we can do.


Both disposal diapers and powder milk are running out

Soon, magazines will report shocking pictures of the disaster as special issues.   But the real challenge hasn’t started yet. We even do not know clearly how much damage we had.  It is going to be a long, long road to recovery.  We need to think hard what we can do to support people in Tohoku for the long term.

Where is Japan going after this?   It is a test of the courage and conscience of us Japanese people.

I sincerely express my heartfelt condolences to those who lost their lives in this disaster.

Elderly people are waiting for rescue, Ishimaki

Written by Takuro Tashumi, on 15th March.
Upon the news of his friend’s return to his home, Tasumi wrote on 21st March:

It’s only been 10 days since the earthquake and yet the main focus is still on relieving the survivors of the earthquake. We have confused information of the nuclear power station crisis, continuing aftershocks, and still do not know the exact death toll. Although, TV presenters report bright stories of survivors, the real recovery would need more time to start, especially in the coastal towns.   


No comments: